Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Brian and the Cardiologist

For anyone that doesn't already know, Brian was born with a heart defect called a VSD (that's ventricular septal defect), which means that he has a hole between the bottom 2 chambers in his heart.  Well, as you can imagine, its not really easy for me to talk about (especially at first) because I just don't want to think anything could be wrong with my precious child.  Luckily, it was noticed right when he was born so we have been seeing the cardiologist since September.  Actually, he had his first echocardiogram the day we left the hospital!  

When he was first diagnosed with the VSD, the doctor told us it was too big to close on its own (some smaller ones will close on their own) and he would have to have open heart surgery where they would close the hole between 3 and 6 months of age.  We have been going to the cardiologist every two weeks to keep a close eye on him and see if he has any symptoms, which would indicate we needed to go ahead with surgery sooner rather than later.

We had an appointment today and I have to update that he is doing great!  Brian still has a very audible murmur, and the hole has not closed, but he continues to have no symptoms and gain weight appropriately.  The doctor keeps telling us Brian is doing much better than he thought he would be doing!  I am so thankful for answered prayers!  I know that he still needs surgery, but right now he is doing so well!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww I didn't know this! I will be praying for him and for the whole family!

Anonymous said...

Kay - you don't know me, but I am good friends with Sarah and she gives me updates on you when we see each other, since you and I have kids that are almost the same age. I have been thinking about you and your adventures with two kids as I have my own adventures. :)

I will certainly keep Brian and his little heart in my prayers! I am glad that he is doing so well, that is wonderful news!
- Amy

Anonymous said...

I didn't know this either, I am so glad things are looking great! keep us updated and i will keep you guys in our prayers! love alicia

Anonymous said...

I had a friend at work whose son had to have surgery. They waited until he was 1.5yrs. He did have failure to thrive but monitored him closely. Brian is doing so much better than my friends son. Now that her son has had the surgery he is almost the right height and weight. The surgery was great for him up and running the same day he had surgery and was more happy than ever. It was his parents who had the hard time with it all. Just know that there are many moms going through this and having great results in the end. Keeping Brian in our prayers.